This from-scratch coffee cake is quick to put together, and it easily serves a crowd. While it’s delicious with peach or apricot pie filling, I like to make it with cherry or strawberry filling during the holidays.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1–3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 can (21 ounces) peach pie filling
- 1–1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture and beat just until combined.
- Spread 3-3/4 cups batter into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Carefully spoon pie filling to within 1 in. of edges. Spoon remaining batter over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if edges brown too quickly). Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over coffee cake. Yield: 16-20 servings.
- Serving Size: 16