Basil, Squash, and Tomato Pasta Toss
Very nice, delicately flavored dish which uses the basil in order to shine.
Write a review
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked whole-grain rotini pasta
- 2 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 2/3 cup), divided
- 1 large yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 medium zucchini, grated on the large holes of a box grater (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- Bring stock, 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons oil, and salt to a boil in a large skillet. Add pasta; cover and cook 10 minutes or until tender. Remove pasta to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Return cooking liquid to a boil; cook 13 minutes or until reduced to about 2/3 cup. Stir in 1/3 cup of the cheese; cook 1 minute, stirring until smooth.
- While sauce reduces, heat another skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add yellow squash; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cooking liquid, yellow squash, tomato, zucchini, and juice to pasta; toss. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and basil.
- Grated zucchini will cook as the pasta is tossed. If you don't have a grater, cut the zucchini like the yellow squash, and sauté both.
William L Brown Farm Market http://williamlbrownfarmmarket.com/